- REN BRC 16
- Corporate body
" The Church of the Ascension was the second Anglican church to be built in Hamilton. The cornerstone was laid on Ascension Day, May 9 1850. The church opened for services on June 22 1851, with the Rev. John Hebden as it's first rector. The land for the church was purchased and donated by Richard Juson, a prominent hardware merchant who was also one of the first wardens.
A boundary wall and iron fence was built to enclose the church and it's ground ca. 1867. By October 1875 when the church was consectrated by Bishop Fuller, the first Bishop of the newly formed Diocese of Niagara, a spire and five bells had been added, the gift of Mrs. Richard Juson.
The whole interior of the church was destroyed by fire on January 6 1887. Reconstruction began almost immediately, and the services in the building resumed on March 8 1888. The church was rebuilt almost exactly as before, but the chancel was enlarged to provide room for the choir stalls and organ. The design of the new church was a simple form of Early English Gothic with a Victorian truss roof.
The bells added to the church in the 1860s have not been rung since 1972. All five bells need new support bolts as well as some adjustment to the striking mechanism before they can be rung again. Price quotes for the necessary work have seemed prohibitively high and this has delayed bell restoration indefinitely. Four of the five bells are still in excellent condition and could be rung again if the repairs were made."