- REN BRC 15
Brother of Mrs Elizabeth Bristol Renison
Brother of Mrs Elizabeth Bristol Renison
"Christ Church Cathedral, in Vancouver, British Columbia, is the Cathedral church of the Diocese of New Westminster of the Anglican Church of Canada. The Cathedral is located at 690 Burrard Street on the north-east corner of West Georgia Street and Burrard Street, directly across from the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver.
The first service was held, without a church building, on December 23, 1888 at 720 Granville Street in the town of Vancouver. Later, on February 14, 1889, a building committee was formed to collect the necessary funds for the erection of the church. It would be located on land bought from the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR); Henry John Cambie, chief engineer of CPR’s Pacific Division and People’s Warden of the new church, was a key negotiator in acquiring the property.
By October 1889, Christ Church’s basement was built and on October 6, the opening service was held for 52 parishioners. The joy of a new church did not last forever.
By 1891 the CPR objected to the unfinished building that had quickly been nicknamed the root house. It was viewed an “eyesore” and the parishioners feared they would lose their location due to lack of funds to complete the building.
A financing scheme was developed by a parishioner and the corner-stone was finally laid July 28, 1894, and the church dedicated, Sunday February 17, 1895. The church was built in the Gothic Style with ceiling made of cedar planking and ceiling beams and floor constructed out of old growth Douglas fir.
By 1909 the first expansion was done and by 1911 the first organ had already worn out, it used a human blower hired at $5 per month, and was replaced by a new organ manufactured by Wurlitzer. In 1920, electricity replaced candles for lighting, and in 1930 the lanterns now in the church were installed.
In 1929, the Archbishop of New Westminster constituted Christ Church as the Cathedral Church of the Diocese. The church planned to build a bell tower, but in 1943, the city by-laws were changed to restrict church bells."
Rita Lee Chui was born around 1914 (?) in Hong Kong. She is the younger sister of the Reverend Florence Li Tim-Oi. She spent much of her life in Europe, where she worked as an analyst for the United Nations International Labour Organization, Lee says. She came to Canada in the 1980s, and helped her sister emigrate from China. She was married twice, and predeceased by both husbands. She had no children. She an her second husband (?) Siu Ting Chui formed a scholarship called the "Florence Li Tim-Oi Memorial Award for Renison College and in 1994 she formed the Li Tim-Oi foundation sponsoring the education and training of women in developing countries in the ministry. She died on March 23rd 2016. Her funeral was held at St. John's Anglican Church in Willowdale Ontario, which is the same parish where her sister served as a Priest.
" The Church of the Ascension was the second Anglican church to be built in Hamilton. The cornerstone was laid on Ascension Day, May 9 1850. The church opened for services on June 22 1851, with the Rev. John Hebden as it's first rector. The land for the church was purchased and donated by Richard Juson, a prominent hardware merchant who was also one of the first wardens.
A boundary wall and iron fence was built to enclose the church and it's ground ca. 1867. By October 1875 when the church was consectrated by Bishop Fuller, the first Bishop of the newly formed Diocese of Niagara, a spire and five bells had been added, the gift of Mrs. Richard Juson.
The whole interior of the church was destroyed by fire on January 6 1887. Reconstruction began almost immediately, and the services in the building resumed on March 8 1888. The church was rebuilt almost exactly as before, but the chancel was enlarged to provide room for the choir stalls and organ. The design of the new church was a simple form of Early English Gothic with a Victorian truss roof.
The bells added to the church in the 1860s have not been rung since 1972. All five bells need new support bolts as well as some adjustment to the striking mechanism before they can be rung again. Price quotes for the necessary work have seemed prohibitively high and this has delayed bell restoration indefinitely. Four of the five bells are still in excellent condition and could be rung again if the repairs were made."
"The Anglican Diocese of Moosonee is a diocese of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario of the Anglican Church of Canada. It was created in 1874 from part of the Diocese of Rupert's Land, in what is now the Province of Rupert's Land, and transferred in 1912 to the new Province of Ontario. Now headquartered in Timmins, Ontario it was originally headquartered in Moose Factory. Its first bishop was the Right Rev. John Horden."
Executive Committee of the Board of Governors of Renison College. Board of Governors has been in existence since 1959.
Executive Committee of the Board of Governors of Renison College. Board of Governors has been in existence since 1959. Name and Status of College changed to Renison University College in 2008.
Formed in 1975 as an independent committee to fulfill policy and planning functions and deal with academic matters, such as faculty regulations and
procedures, curriculum, academic standards, and program development.
Committee of the Board of Governors of Renison College. Board of Governors has been in existence since 1959.
Committee of the Board of Governors of Renison College. Board of Governors has been in existence since 1959. College changed its name to Renison University College in 2008.