Showing 39 results

Authority record

Chui, Rita Lee

  • REN LTO 2
  • Person
  • 1914(?) - 2016

Rita Lee Chui was born around 1914 (?) in Hong Kong. She is the younger sister of the Reverend Florence Li Tim-Oi. She spent much of her life in Europe, where she worked as an analyst for the United Nations International Labour Organization, Lee says. She came to Canada in the 1980s, and helped her sister emigrate from China. She was married twice, and predeceased by both husbands. She had no children. She an her second husband (?) Siu Ting Chui formed a scholarship called the "Florence Li Tim-Oi Memorial Award for Renison College and in 1994 she formed the Li Tim-Oi foundation sponsoring the education and training of women in developing countries in the ministry. She died on March 23rd 2016. Her funeral was held at St. John's Anglican Church in Willowdale Ontario, which is the same parish where her sister served as a Priest.

Renison, Elizabeth Bristol (1885 - 1975)

  • REN BRC 2
  • Person
  • (1885- 1975)

Elizabeth Bristol Renison was born in Hamilton, Ontario in 1885. In 1914 she married the Reverend Robert John Renison in Hamilton, Ontario. She died in 1975 in Toronto, Ontario. They had two sons, Robert John Bristol Renison and George Everett Bristol Renison.

Anglican Communion. Lambeth Conference.

  • REN BRC 18
  • Corporate body
  • 1967-

A decennial assembly of Bishops in the Worldwide Anglican Communion. Started in 1967 on the suggestion on Bishop John Henry Hopkins of Vermont. Actual impetus due to actions of Canadian privy council regarding Anglican Church during 1865 (because of confederation?) Held at Lambeth Palace in London (Archbishop of Canterbury's London home) until 1968, when size forced them to look elsewhere.

Runcie, Robert. Archbishop of Canterbury

  • REN LTO 3
  • Person
  • 1921-2000

Bishop Runcie was born on the 2nd of October 1921 in Great Crosby (a suburb of Liverpool, England) to rather non religious parents. He was educated at Brasenose College at Oxford University where he graduated following a five year break for war service (1941-1946). After graduating from Oxford, he prepared for ordination at Wescott House, a theological college based in Cambridge (England). After ordination he served for two years as the curate at All Saint's parish in Newcastle on Tyne. He then became vice-principal at Westcott House and in 1956, Dean of Trinity Hall at Cambridge where he met his future wife (Angela) Rosalind (Lindy) Turner (Lady Runcie), an accomplished pianist and music teacher. They married on September 5th, 1957. In 1960, he became principal of Cuddesdon College, followed by bishop of the St. Alban's Diocese (1970-1980) and Archbishop of Canterbury from 1981-1991. In 1991 he retired as "Baron Runcie of Cuddesdon. He died of cancer in 2000 and is buried in the church yard at St. Alban's Abbey. He and his wife had two children, James (1959) and Rebecca (1962) and four grandchildren.

In 1984, while he was considering the issue of the ordination of women, he met with the Reverend Florence Li Tim-Oi when she came to England for the celebration of the fourtieth year of her ordination at Westminster Abbey. After meeting with Li Tim-Oi, He changed his mind to consider ordination of women saying "Who am I to say whom God can or cannot call? It takes one woman to change the thinking of the church."

Anglican Church of Canada. Diocese of Athabasca

  • REN BRC 9
  • Corporate body
  • 1874-

"The Anglican Diocese of Athabasca is a diocese of the Ecclesiastical Province of Rupert's Land of the Anglican Church of Canada, in the northern half of the civil province of Alberta. It was created in 1874 by the division into four parts of the original Diocese of Rupert's Land. The Synod of the Diocese of Athabasca was organized in 1876. The diocese was then itself subdivided in 1892 to create the new dioceses of Selkirk (later renamed Yukon) and Mackenzie River and in 1933 to create the Diocese of The Arctic (which subsumed Mackenzie River).

The see city is Peace River. The Diocese has had at least two other See Cities: Fort Simpson and Fort Vermilion. The Bishop resided for a considerable period at Athabasca Landing, but it is not certain if it was ever his "seat". Other cities in the diocese are Grande Prairie and Fort McMurray."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diocese_of_Athabasca

Church of the Ascension (Hamilton, Ont.)

  • REN BRC 16
  • Corporate body
  • 1850-

" The Church of the Ascension was the second Anglican church to be built in Hamilton. The cornerstone was laid on Ascension Day, May 9 1850. The church opened for services on June 22 1851, with the Rev. John Hebden as it's first rector. The land for the church was purchased and donated by Richard Juson, a prominent hardware merchant who was also one of the first wardens.

A boundary wall and iron fence was built to enclose the church and it's ground ca. 1867. By October 1875 when the church was consectrated by Bishop Fuller, the first Bishop of the newly formed Diocese of Niagara, a spire and five bells had been added, the gift of Mrs. Richard Juson.

The whole interior of the church was destroyed by fire on January 6 1887. Reconstruction began almost immediately, and the services in the building resumed on March 8 1888. The church was rebuilt almost exactly as before, but the chancel was enlarged to provide room for the choir stalls and organ. The design of the new church was a simple form of Early English Gothic with a Victorian truss roof.

The bells added to the church in the 1860s have not been rung since 1972. All five bells need new support bolts as well as some adjustment to the striking mechanism before they can be rung again. Price quotes for the necessary work have seemed prohibitively high and this has delayed bell restoration indefinitely. Four of the five bells are still in excellent condition and could be rung again if the repairs were made."

http://ascensionchurch.ca/history.php

St. Paul's Church (Toronto, Ont. : Anglican)

  • REN BRC 7
  • Corporate body
  • 1842-

"John G. Howard, known as the first professional architect in Toronto, was commissioned to begin plans for the new church. In his diary, Howard noted working on specifications for "a little church up Yonge Street". This little church was a long, barn-like structure measuring 30 by 40 feet.The church opened for its first service on June 12th, 1842. One hundred people sat in attendance as the Rev. Charles Matthews, former Rector of St. John's, delivered the sermon. A choir of four people sang and a collection of 3 pounds 40 shillings was taken.The name "St. Paul's" was formalized in 1846 when Bishop John Strachan appointed the church's first Rector, The Rev. John George Delhoste Mackenzie.

In 1857, St. Paul's required more space to accommodate its growing congregation. A competition was held for designs for a new structure, with brothers Edward and George Kent Radford being announced as winners. Construction began in 1858 on what was described by the English periodical The Builder as a "perfect Gothic gem". The original wooden church building was moved on rollers to Potter's Field on Bloor Street. The clerestory was supported on massive columns set on brick piers, and the aisles were separated from the nave by moulded arches on heavy columnar pillars. The main entrance was on the north side in the central bay of the nave. Just within the entrance stood a large sandstone baptismal font. The second building opened for its first service on December 9th, 1860. At this time St. Paul's seated about 450 people. By 1900 electricity was installed and renovations extended the nave, increasing seating capacity to 900.The second church is still an integral part of St. Paul's, and now holds office space, in addition to the Great Hall and the St. Paul's Chapel. While much of the interior has been changed, the exterior remains largely untouched

The Rev. Canon Henry John Cody came to St. Paul's as a student, later becoming curate in charge before being appointed Rector in 1907. In 1909 St. Paul's commissioned architect Edward James Lennox, whose previous work included the old City Hall and Casa Loma, to prepare designs for a new, larger church.
The new church opened for it's first service on November 30th, 1913 and stands immediately to the east of the old church. With an original seating capacity of over 2,000, the new church was able to meet the church's growing needs, and is presently the largest Anglican church in Toronto. The organ was donated to St. Paul's by the Blackstock family in memory of Thomas Blackstock. Built in 1914 by Casavant Freres, it has undergone several restorations to maintain its glorious voice."

http://www.stpaulsbloor.org/st-pauls-bloor-street-history

Anglican Church of Canada. Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario. Metropolitan

  • REN BRC 17
  • Corporate body
  • 1912-

The third oldest Ecclesiastical province in the Anglican Church in Canada, the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario was formed from seven diocese from The Ecclesiastical Province of Canada (Algoma, Huron, Niagara, Ontario, Ottawa and Toronto) and one Diocese from the Ecclesiastical Province of Rupert's Land (Moosonee). The Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario comprises of the Central and Eastern parts of the geographic Province of Ontario and part of the Western part of the geographic Province of Quebec, from the James Bay region to the border between Canada and the United States. So far there have been 18 Metropolitan's of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario of which Robert John Renison was the 9th.

Li, Florence Tim-Oi

  • REN LTO 1
  • Person
  • 1907-1992

The Reverend Florence Li Tim-Oi was born on May 5th in fishing village of Aberdeen on Hong Kong Island. At that time in her culture, boy babies were highly prized and a bowl of ash was kept on hand to smother girl babies. But Li Tim-Oi’s parents did want her. Her Christian parents named her Tim-Oi which means “much beloved”

She completed her primary schooling at the age of 14, but with five brothers and two sisters, there was no money available for her to continue her schooling until she turned 21. While she was a student, she joined an Anglican church. At her baptism she took the Christian name of “Florence.” In 1931, when was still a student, she attended the ordination of an English Deaconess. During the service the Chinese born priest asked if there was a Chinese girl willing to sacrifice to the Chinese church. She knelt and prayed “God, would you like to send me?”

In 1934, she started a four year theological course at the Union Theological College in Canton. Her New Testament tutor was Geoffrey Allen. Her family couldn’t afford the tuition fees, so the Anglican Church paid her fees. While she was a student, she led a team of students rescuing the casualties of Japanese carpet bombing during the Second Sino-Japanese war.

She was ordained as a female deacon by the Bishop of Hong Kong on Ascension Day in 1941. (There was no separate deaconess order in China. She had a brief curacy in Kowloon, and then was appointed to the Portuguese colony of Macau, neutral territory which was crowded with war refugees. While she was there she ministered to the refugees and converted many of them to the Anglican Church. There was no priest and the passage from Hong Kong to Macau was long and dangerous because of the war. In 1941, the Bishop of Hong Kong travelled to the United States and had a meeting with Ursula and Reinhold Niebuhr on the subject of ordaining women. In 1943, when the Bishop was in the part of his Diocese that was in free China, he sent a message to Florence Li Tim-Oi to meet with him. Her journey was dangerous because she needed to go through Japanese lines. On January 25, 1944, he ordained her as a Priest of God.

After the war, under pressure from the purple guard (diocesan officials), and to the dismay of her bishop, Li Tim-Oi resigned her license as a priest but not her holy orders. She was put in charge of a parish near Vietnam, where she started a maternity home to prevent girl babies from being suffocated. During the more than 30 years that she lived in the People’s Republic in China, she was required to keep her faith and her calling secret. She was sent for a time to work on a chicken farm where she became “the captain of the chickens.”
The “bamboo curtain” was eventually lifted and Christian ministers received their back pay from the government, but when she left to live in Canada in 1983, she left her money and pension rights to good causes in China.

The 40th anniversary of her priesting was celebrated in 1984 at Westminster Abbey in her presence. At this occasion she was invited to Lambeth Palace to meet the Archbishop of Canterbury, Robert Runcie, who at the time was unconvinced that women should be ordained. After meeting her, the Archbishop said “Who am I to say whom god can or cannot call? It takes one woman to change the thinking of the church.”

When she lived in Toronto she served as an honorary (non-stipended) assistant priest until her death on February 26, 1992. She is commemorated by the Anglican Church Canada on February 26th and by the Episcopal Church (USA) on January 24th

Results 1 to 10 of 39