Christ Church Cathedral (Vancouver, B.C.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Christ Church Cathedral (Vancouver, B.C.)

Parallel form(s) of name

  • Christ Church Cathedral, Vancouver, B.C.

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Christ Church Cathedral, Vancouver, B.C.

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1888-

History

"Christ Church Cathedral, in Vancouver, British Columbia, is the Cathedral church of the Diocese of New Westminster of the Anglican Church of Canada. The Cathedral is located at 690 Burrard Street on the north-east corner of West Georgia Street and Burrard Street, directly across from the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver.

The first service was held, without a church building, on December 23, 1888 at 720 Granville Street in the town of Vancouver. Later, on February 14, 1889, a building committee was formed to collect the necessary funds for the erection of the church. It would be located on land bought from the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR); Henry John Cambie, chief engineer of CPR’s Pacific Division and People’s Warden of the new church, was a key negotiator in acquiring the property.

By October 1889, Christ Church’s basement was built and on October 6, the opening service was held for 52 parishioners. The joy of a new church did not last forever.

By 1891 the CPR objected to the unfinished building that had quickly been nicknamed the root house. It was viewed an “eyesore” and the parishioners feared they would lose their location due to lack of funds to complete the building.

A financing scheme was developed by a parishioner and the corner-stone was finally laid July 28, 1894, and the church dedicated, Sunday February 17, 1895. The church was built in the Gothic Style with ceiling made of cedar planking and ceiling beams and floor constructed out of old growth Douglas fir.

By 1909 the first expansion was done and by 1911 the first organ had already worn out, it used a human blower hired at $5 per month, and was replaced by a new organ manufactured by Wurlitzer. In 1920, electricity replaced candles for lighting, and in 1930 the lanterns now in the church were installed.

In 1929, the Archbishop of New Westminster constituted Christ Church as the Cathedral Church of the Diocese. The church planned to build a bell tower, but in 1943, the city by-laws were changed to restrict church bells."

http://www.cathedral.vancouver.bc.ca/about-us/vision-story/

Places

Vancouver, B.C.
Granville St. Vancouver, B.C.
Burrard St. Vancouver, B.C.

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Anglican Church
Anglican Cathedral

Mandates/sources of authority

General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada
Diocese of New Westminster

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Renison, Robert J. (Robert John). Metropolitan of Ontario. ([1875-1957])

Identifier of the related entity

REN BRC 1

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Dates of the relationship

1927-1931

Description of relationship

The Reverend Robert John Renison was Rector of Christ Church in Vancouver from 1927-1931 and Dean of New Westminster from 1929-1931.

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

REN BRC 6

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAAR

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

revised 09/30/2014

Language(s)

Script(s)

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC