Item REN BRC2.7.1 - Mrs. Renison with Three Bishops at Renison College.

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Mrs. Renison with Three Bishops at Renison College.

General material designation

  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title from "Renison's Second Building Dedicated" Northland (S.N.: S.D.)

Level of description

Item

Reference code

CA Renison University College Archives REN BRC-REN BRC 2-REN BRC 2.7-REN BRC2.7.1

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1999- (Custody)
    Custodian
    Renison University College Archives
  • 1999- (Collection)
    Collector
    Reverend Robert John Renison Fonds
    Place
    Waterloo, Ont.
  • 1964 (Creation)
    Creator
    Renison College
    Place
    Waterloo, Ont.
    Note
    Dedication of Renison Colleges Second building, The Luxton Building.
  • 1964 (Creation)
    Creator
    Renison, Elizabeth Bristol (1885 - 1975)
    Place
    Waterloo, Ont.
    Note
    Mrs. Renison at opening of second building at Renison University College.

Physical description area

Physical description

1 B&W photograph 5 inches X 7 inches.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(January 14, 1959-July 9, 2008)

Administrative history

In October 1956, Bishop George Luxton of the Huron Diocese, asked the Rev. Harvey E. Southcott, then priest of the Church of the Holy Saviour in Waterloo, to act as chaplain to Anglican students attending Waterloo College (Now Wilfred Laurier University.) Also in 1956, Gerald Hagey, first lay president of Waterloo College envisioned the "Waterloo College Associate Faculties, a non-denominational science faculty affiliated with Waterloo College. The Rev. Southcott persuaded the Huron Diocese to consider the possibility of an Anglican College in Kitchener-Waterloo and in January 1957 Bishop Luxton called a meeting of the Great Chapter of the Deanery of Waterloo to discuss the purchase of land near Waterloo College, which passed with majority assent. In October 1958, the Waterloo Deanery approved the incorporation of a collegiate body and the purchase of 193 Albert street in Waterloo and assumed responsibility for raising the funds. On January 14th, 1959 the College received a charter under the Ontario Corporations Act of 1953. By January of 1965, the College had built it's second building, a men's residence. In 1968 then principal Wynn Rees encouraged the college to abandon the church college tradition of teaching general arts and instead develop a specialty in two interdisciplinary academic programs in International Studies and Applied Social Science paving the way for future specializations in Social Work, Social Development Studies, East Asian Studies and Studies in Islam. In 1989 Renison College offered it's first East Asian Studies courses. English for Academic Success programs started in the summer of 1994. In 1999, Renison College graduated it's first class in the Bachelor's of Social Work. The 2000's saw rapid expansion of the English Learning Institute (English as a second language) and in East Asian Studies courses. In July 2008, Renison College changed it's name to Renison University College

Name of creator

((1885- 1975))

Biographical history

Elizabeth Bristol Renison was born in Hamilton, Ontario in 1885. In 1914 she married the Reverend Robert John Renison in Hamilton, Ontario. She died in 1975 in Toronto, Ontario. They had two sons, Robert John Bristol Renison and George Everett Bristol Renison.

Custodial history

Scope and content

One Black and white photograph of Mrs. Elizabeth Bristol Renison at the Dedication of the Luxton building at Renison University College with (from left to right) The Right Reverend J.A. Watton (Archbishop of Moosonee 1963-1980, Metropolitan of Ontario, 1974-1979), The Right Reverend H.F. Appleyard, and the Right Reverend George Luxton.

Notes area

Physical condition

Good

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Renison University College Archives

Rules or conventions

RAD

Status

Revised

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised 10/10/2014
Revised 10/27/2014

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Title and content information from "Renison's Second Building Dedicated" Northland (S.N.: S.D.)

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres