Dates of existence
January 14, 1959-July 9, 2008
In October 1956, Bishop George Luxton of the Huron Diocese, asked the Rev. Harvey E. Southcott, then priest of the Church of the Holy Saviour in Waterloo, to act as chaplain to Anglican students attending Waterloo College (Now Wilfred Laurier University.) Also in 1956, Gerald Hagey, first lay president of Waterloo College envisioned the "Waterloo College Associate Faculties, a non-denominational science faculty affiliated with Waterloo College. The Rev. Southcott persuaded the Huron Diocese to consider the possibility of an Anglican College in Kitchener-Waterloo and in January 1957 Bishop Luxton called a meeting of the Great Chapter of the Deanery of Waterloo to discuss the purchase of land near Waterloo College, which passed with majority assent. In October 1958, the Waterloo Deanery approved the incorporation of a collegiate body and the purchase of 193 Albert street in Waterloo and assumed responsibility for raising the funds. On January 14th, 1959 the College received a charter under the Ontario Corporations Act of 1953. By January of 1965, the College had built it's second building, a men's residence. In 1968 then principal Wynn Rees encouraged the college to abandon the church college tradition of teaching general arts and instead develop a specialty in two interdisciplinary academic programs in International Studies and Applied Social Science paving the way for future specializations in Social Work, Social Development Studies, East Asian Studies and Studies in Islam. In 1989 Renison College offered it's first East Asian Studies courses. English for Academic Success programs started in the summer of 1994. In 1999, Renison College graduated it's first class in the Bachelor's of Social Work. The 2000's saw rapid expansion of the English Learning Institute (English as a second language) and in East Asian Studies courses. In July 2008, Renison College changed it's name to Renison University College
University of Waterloo
Charter under the Ontario Corporations Act., 1953.
University of Waterloo, 1972
Functions, occupations and activities
Anglican student chaplaincy
Non-credit instruction in East Asian languages
Non-credit instruction in English as a second language (ESL)
Mandates/sources of authority
Corporations Act of Ontario, 1953
University of Waterloo, 1972
Renison University College is affiliated with the University of Waterloo. The Chancellor is Mr.Manfred Conrad, founder of the Cora Group Inc., and a founding member of Communitech, as well as a philanthropic leader in the Kitchener Waterloo community. He has held this post since May 7, 2016. Previously the Chancellor was the Rev. Ralph D. Spence. The Chancellor is usually a community leader, a strong supporter of the college and/or is in Episcopal orders. The main governing body is a volunteer Board of Governors, which includes representatives from the University of Waterloo, from the Renison student body, residence, faculty and staff, community members and representatives from the Anglican Dioceses of Niagara and Huron. The Principal reports to and is hired by the Chancellor and the Board of Governors. The Principal is responsible for the academic units (East Asian Studies, English Language Institute, Social Development Studies, School of Social Work, Humanities and institutes and centres (non-credit courses) An Administrative Dean is responsible for administrative and non-academic units (Library, Registrar, Advancement and Alumni Affairs, Residence and Student Life, Finance, Marketing, Chaplaincy and Administration.) Degree granting status is held abeyance to the University of Waterloo with the exception of degrees in theology and religion.
In 1953, Waterloo College (now Wilfred Laurier University) appointed Gerald Hagey as the first lay (non Lutheran Pastor) president. He spent much of his tenure trying to fix the college's financial challenges. As a denominational college, Waterloo College was not eligible to receive public funding from the Province of Ontario which at the same time was investing heavily in post secondary education. Also at this time, there was a increase in the demand for university graduates with education in the sciences and technology and universities in Ontario were trying to meet an increased demand for post secondary education which was anticipated as the first cohort of the post World War II "baby boomers" became old enough to enroll in post secondary education. In step with these occurrences, and following the lead of other denominational colleges at the time, notably McMaster University and Assumption College (a founding college of the University of Windsor), Waterloo College envisioned the "Waterloo College Associate Faculties", a non-denominational science faculty affiliated with Waterloo College. From the beginning Renison College planned to be affiliated with the new institution, along with St. Jerome's College (now St. Jerome's University), and anticipated United Church (St. Paul's College) and Mennonite Church (Conrad Greble College) colleges. Anticipating growth,the Affiliated Faculties purchased a 183 acre plot of land on what is now University Avenue. At the last minute, The Evangelical Lutheran Synod backed out of it's planned affiliation with the Affiliated Faculties, leading to a flurry of activity which lead to the creation of the University of Waterloo as the degree granting institution and Waterloo Lutheran University as a completely separate denominational university in it's original site. Renison College opened in a house at 193 Albert Street. In May 1961, the University of Waterloo offered Renison College 5 acres of land adjacent to the land where it was anticipated that other new church residences and St. Jerome's College would build. In addition the College purchased 1.5 acres against future growth. As part of the affiliation agreement, the college's degree granting abilities would be held in abeyance to the University of Waterloo with the exception of theology and religious studies degrees. During the early years of the college, then principal Wynn Rees anticipated the importance of Renison College moving away from the liberal arts, paving the way for current Renison University College specialties such as Social Work, Social Development Studies and East Asian Studies. In the 1990's the college starting offering English as a second language courses in anticipation of increased need from international students. Due to it's evolving nature, it's name and status changed in July 2008 to Renison University College.