St. Paul's Church (Toronto, Ont. : Anglican)

Área de identidad

Tipo de entidad

Entidad colectiva

Forma autorizada del nombre

St. Paul's Church (Toronto, Ont. : Anglican)

Forma(s) paralela(s) de nombre

Forma(s) normalizada del nombre, de acuerdo a otras reglas

Otra(s) forma(s) de nombre

  • St. Paul's Anglican Church, Bloor St. Toronto, On.

Identificadores para instituciones

Área de descripción

Fechas de existencia

1842-

Historia

"John G. Howard, known as the first professional architect in Toronto, was commissioned to begin plans for the new church. In his diary, Howard noted working on specifications for "a little church up Yonge Street". This little church was a long, barn-like structure measuring 30 by 40 feet.The church opened for its first service on June 12th, 1842. One hundred people sat in attendance as the Rev. Charles Matthews, former Rector of St. John's, delivered the sermon. A choir of four people sang and a collection of 3 pounds 40 shillings was taken.The name "St. Paul's" was formalized in 1846 when Bishop John Strachan appointed the church's first Rector, The Rev. John George Delhoste Mackenzie.

In 1857, St. Paul's required more space to accommodate its growing congregation. A competition was held for designs for a new structure, with brothers Edward and George Kent Radford being announced as winners. Construction began in 1858 on what was described by the English periodical The Builder as a "perfect Gothic gem". The original wooden church building was moved on rollers to Potter's Field on Bloor Street. The clerestory was supported on massive columns set on brick piers, and the aisles were separated from the nave by moulded arches on heavy columnar pillars. The main entrance was on the north side in the central bay of the nave. Just within the entrance stood a large sandstone baptismal font. The second building opened for its first service on December 9th, 1860. At this time St. Paul's seated about 450 people. By 1900 electricity was installed and renovations extended the nave, increasing seating capacity to 900.The second church is still an integral part of St. Paul's, and now holds office space, in addition to the Great Hall and the St. Paul's Chapel. While much of the interior has been changed, the exterior remains largely untouched

The Rev. Canon Henry John Cody came to St. Paul's as a student, later becoming curate in charge before being appointed Rector in 1907. In 1909 St. Paul's commissioned architect Edward James Lennox, whose previous work included the old City Hall and Casa Loma, to prepare designs for a new, larger church.
The new church opened for it's first service on November 30th, 1913 and stands immediately to the east of the old church. With an original seating capacity of over 2,000, the new church was able to meet the church's growing needs, and is presently the largest Anglican church in Toronto. The organ was donated to St. Paul's by the Blackstock family in memory of Thomas Blackstock. Built in 1914 by Casavant Freres, it has undergone several restorations to maintain its glorious voice."

http://www.stpaulsbloor.org/st-pauls-bloor-street-history

Lugares

Toronto, Ontario
Yonge Street, Toronto
Bloor Street, Toronto

Estatuto jurídico

Funciones, ocupaciones y actividades

Anglican Church

Mandatos/fuentes de autoridad

The General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada
Diocese of Toronto

Estructura/genealogía interna

Contexto general

Área de relaciones

Entidad relacionada

Renison, Robert J. (Robert John). Metropolitan of Ontario. ([1875-1957])

Identificador de la entidad relacionada

REN BRC 1

Categoría de la relación

jerárquica

Fechas de la relación

1933 - 1943

Descripción de la relación

Área de puntos de acceso

Puntos de acceso por materia

Puntos de acceso por lugar

Occupations

Área de control

Identificador de registro de autoridad

REN BRC 7

Identificador de la institución

Reglas y/o convenciones usadas

ISAAR

Estado de elaboración

Borrador

Nivel de detalle

Parcial

Fechas de creación, revisión o eliminación

creation 09/30/2014

Idioma(s)

Escritura(s)

Notas de mantención

  • Portapapeles

  • Exportar

  • EAC

Materias relacionadas

Lugares relacionados